top of page

Transitioning from an F-1 student visa to an E-2 investor visa involves a specific process and requires meeting certain criteria. Here's an overview of the steps involved in transitioning from an F-1 visa to an E-2 visa:

  • Eligibility for E-2 Visa: To be eligible for an E-2 visa, you must be a national of a country that has a treaty of commerce and navigation or a bilateral investment treaty with the United States. Additionally, you must plan to invest a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business and be actively involved in managing or directing the business.

  • Establish a Business: Before transitioning to an E-2 visa, you need to establish or acquire a business in the United States that meets the requirements for E-2 classification. The investment should be substantial and at risk, and the business should have the potential to generate more than a minimal living for you and your family.

  • Investment Amount and Business Plan: Determine the appropriate investment amount for your E-2 visa application. While there is no fixed minimum investment requirement, it should be substantial and proportional to the total cost of purchasing or creating the business. Prepare a comprehensive business plan that outlines the nature of the business, its operations, financial projections, and how it will meet the criteria for E-2 classification.

  • Optional Practical Training (OPT): As an F-1 student, you may have the opportunity to engage in Optional Practical Training (OPT) after completing your academic program. OPT allows you to work in the United States temporarily in a field related to your studies. You can use this period to gain valuable work experience and plan for your transition to the E-2 visa.

  • Maintaining Status: It is important to maintain valid F-1 status throughout the transition process. This includes complying with the regulations regarding employment, maintaining a full course of study, and adhering to any other requirements of your F-1 visa.

  • Investment and E-2 Application: Once you have established the business and have the necessary investment funds, you can proceed with the E-2 visa application process. This involves filing Form DS-160, the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and scheduling an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country. Prepare all required documentation, including the business plan, financial records, proof of investment, and any other supporting documents.

  • Visa Interview: Attend the visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate, where you will be asked questions about your business, investment, and plans in the United States. Be prepared to provide thorough and accurate responses to demonstrate your eligibility for the E-2 visa.

  • Transitioning to E-2 Status: If your E-2 visa application is approved, you will receive your visa stamp in your passport. You can then travel to the United States and present your visa at the port of entry. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer will determine your admissibility and grant you permission to enter the country in E-2 status.

It is crucial to consult with an experienced immigration attorney or professional who specializes in E-2 visas to guide you through the process, assist with document preparation, and provide support during the application and interview stages. They can help ensure that you meet all the requirements for transitioning from an F-1 visa to an E-2 investor visa.

Immigrant Law- Investment E2 Visa from F-1 visa

  • I'm a product detail. I'm a great place to add more information about your product such as sizing, material, care and cleaning instructions. This is also a great space to write what makes this product special and how your customers can benefit from this item.
bottom of page